Tuesday, December 28, 2010

December in Malta & Skiing in Chamonix, France

Sorry that we haven’t posted anything new lately, but December has been a pretty busy month for J and I, so recording it seems to have fallen a bit behind.

December in Malta

Early this month J and I went back to Teatru Manoel and saw the play “Speed the Plow.”  It’s an American comedy that pokes at the Hollywood industry.  It was well put on but it was tough to buy the “American” accents that the Maltese actors were trying to use, they seemed to think that everyone in the US talks like Tony Soprano.

We also went to see the Nutcracker at the Mediterranean Convention Centre (MCC) in Malta.  The MCC is a large convention center in Valletta that was originally a hospital that the Knights of St. John built in the 1500’s.  It was heavily damaged by bombs during the Second World War and then rebuilt as a convention center. 
It was interesting to see where the old parts of the building were intertwined with the new convention center.  It was also good to look at all of the old rich people dressed up in expensive fur coats. It was about 15 degrees out that night and I was more than comfortable in a shirt and sweater, but every old lady wore the heaviest fur coat they could possibly find.

The Nutcracker itself was put on by a local dance school here and was promoted as having guest stars from the Moscow State Theatre and the Bolshoi.  We were somewhat surprised by the cheap ticket price (about $15 each) seeing that it had real Russian dancers in it, but quickly learned why. The show itself had all of the members of the (amateur) local dance school (including the 4 & 5 year olds) dancing alongside the “guest stars” from the Moscow State Theatre and the Bolshoi. Clara and the Prince were played by the Russian dancers, they were incredibly talented and great to watch (Yes Jan, I actually enjoyed a ballet, after years of being dragged).  The other roles were played by local dancers.  Unfortunately the contrast in their abilities kind of felt like a ballet version of the dance-offs from the film “A Night at the Rocksbury” and I kept concentrating on how awkward the entire performance must have been for everyone involved. In the end it was nice to carry on our tradition of seeing the Nutcracker during each holiday season.

Just after J’s last post in November, we entered Christmas shopping season.  Like most things, J had prepared for our Christmas abroad a long time before we left Canada by making paintings for our family and friends in the summer, and wrapping and delivering them to all involved before we left in September. I, however, had left it with my family that we wouldn’t bother mailing presents across the Atlantic. Then, half of my family decided to come to Europe before Christmas and I had to engage in one of my great talents…. Christmas Gift Shopping.

For those of you who are unaware, J has a slight obsession with Oprah and anxiously checked Oprah’s website in November to see which Amazing Gifts Ideas would be recommended in her annual Favorite Things episode.  As soon as J had done enough research (approximately 20-30 hours) she ordered everything that she wanted to get for me online and supplied me with a list of suitable Christmas gifts for her. 

I somewhat ignored the list for about 4 days at which time I was warned that it was now too late to have all the gifts arrive before we left for Chamonix on December 15th.  In another 4 days I agreed with her that it may be cutting it close so I ordered my gifts online and calmly hoped that they would arrive before we left. I figured if they didn’t, I could easily pull my classic Christmas move and go to a pharmacy on Christmas morning and load up on a few gift cards.  The postal worker rang our doorbell about 30 minutes before we left for the airport on the 15th and the last of presents that I ordered arrived. Some people have said that I may have horseshoes up my ass (permanent good luck) whereas others, including J, simply believe that it is unfair that these sorts of things keep working themselves out. I was quite pleased that I was right with my cash-flow-maximization (more accurately described as Christmas shopping procrastination) strategy but probably have not learned anything from this experience for the future.

Our First Visitor

A few days before my father (A.K.A. Jack, Jack-o, Dr. G, etc.) arrived, J and I rented a car to do a bit of Malta touring and to get a few things together before we had our first visitor.  We “re-decorated” the man cave so that I can no longer look out the window while I work, and so that the room can actually allow guests to sleep in the beds without getting a little woozy from my décor.  J and Jack thought it was a great improvement but the real test will come when I get back to full-time workweeks after the holidays. I have now gone full circle in seating arrangements at work.  I started out in isolation staring at a wall, then I moved into an office for a little time, then I was allowed to work in a group setting for the summer, then for the first few months here I had a window with a view of Valletta and now I’m back to staring at a wall. 

Before Jack arrived we used the time with a car to drive through a few of the rural areas that we hadn’t been to yet, return to the beach with the dogs, and enjoy the legroom in a vehicle that is not a 1960’s bus.

J and Dogs at Pretty Bay
J and Dogs at Ghajn Tuffieha Beach

The Little Explorer at Ghajn Tuffieha
M and Ellie at Ghajn Tuffieha
Ghajn Tuffieha
Crazy Kite Boarders at Golden Bay
I learned that gas stations here allow you to “pay at the pump” while the station is closed by going to a machine and pre-paying for your gas before you pump.  The first time I tried this I inevitably chose a pump that was dry and had to pay a second time to select a functioning pump. I asked another driver what to do to get a refund (as no one was working that day) and he said just to come back tomorrow and tell the operator that you didn’t get any gas.  So I did return and, like the good Catholics that they are here, I wasn’t even asked for my receipt for the gas that I didn’t receive. They just believed me and gave me my €20 back.

Jack came to visit us for 3 days before we all left to meet my sister Kelly and our British ski/drinking friends Mathew and his brother Tom in Chamonix (France).  While Jack was here we ferried him around the majority of the island and only got lost a few times.  It was great to see someone from home and Jack seemed to enjoy himself and was amazed by the blend of old, new and decaying buildings around the island. 

In a fashion quite unlike my normal procrastination, I pre-booked a tour for us at the Hal Saflieni Hypogeum while he was here.

There was a Stone Age culture in Malta that built extensive above and below ground temples between 5500 and 4500 years ago. The hypogeum is an elaborate underground temple and burial complex that was built around 5000 years ago and was accidently discovered during residential construction in the early 1900’s.  It is entirely carved out of the Maltese limestone and quite impressive to think that it was built before Stonehenge, the Pyramids or widespread use of metal on a small island with few resources. Follow this link if you’re interested in really old stuff.

Skiing in Chamonix

Jack had originally purchased a ticket with his American Express (because he gets more Aeroplan points) to fly out to Geneva via Frankfurt with Lufthansa on a flight two and a half hours before J and I were flying out on Saturday morning. We were all going to stay in Geneva on Saturday night before taking a shuttle to Chamonix on Sunday morning with Kelly and our friends from the UK.  I was only going to drop him off at the airport, but he had his whine on about the large amount of luggage he was taking for others, so I parked the car and came inside the airport to help him with his luggage. 

Jack and his luggage at the Malta airport
We got into the check-in area and there was a large line behind the Lufthansa counter.  I looked at the departures board and saw that Jack’s flight to Frankfurt had been cancelled due to airport closures in the UK and Germany…Panic now set in for Jack and he was sent into un-controllable travel-anxiety mode.  It had snowed about 10-15 centimeters in London and Frankfurt, which caused airport closures and a lot of criticism by Canadian travelers who usually consider 10-15 centimeters to be padding on a runway. 

So I waited in the line with Jack (about 100 people long at this point) to rebook his flight to our flight that was still scheduled to go to Geneva via Zurich in two and a half hours.  We called all of Jack’s Air Canada super special status numbers and they basically gave us the, “It’s Lufthansa’s system, I can’t do anything for you even if I felt like looking into it more.” So I waited in the Lufthansa line while Jack went to the AirMalta/SwissAir line to see how full our flight was. In true Jack style, (he was once quoted as saying, “When travelling, money solves all problems”) he bought a ticket on the AirMalta/SwissAir flight (with his VISA, because they don’t take American Express) just in case there were no seats left before we got to the front of the Lufthansa line.  He went to check-in on his newly booked flight but no-longer had super status so had to pay for extra luggage and “Club Class” seating. He definitely could not travel in steerage with the rest of us common folk.  (To be fair, it was actually cheaper to pay the upgrade fee than to pay for extra luggage space)

Once he had his “security blankie” flight booked, I picked J and our luggage up at home before returning to the airport.  We checked into our flight and found Jack at the front of the Lufthansa line.  The Lufthansa agent was incredibly confused as to why someone would go buy another ticket when they hadn’t talked to their cancelled flight carrier yet.  It turns out they had already booked Jack onto our flight, in “Club Class”.  He now had two “Club Class” tickets on the same flight.  There wasn’t enough time to get back into the AirMalta/SwissAir ticketing line to ask for a refund so he just accepted the increased “security blankie” flight costs and got on our plane.

Our flight got into Zurich 10 minutes late which made our 45 minute connection time even tighter but we got to Geneva close to on time… but our luggage was no where to be seen.  Jack immediately re-entered un-controllable-travel-anxiety mode and B-lined it straight to the lost luggage claim area. J and I decided to wait at the luggage carousel to see if our luggage came on the next flight from Zurich which arrived an hour later.  About 5 minutes after Jack registered all of our “lost” luggage the two bags that J and I packed came tumbling down the luggage carousel… but karma came for Jack as his two bags were still missing.  

Since there wasn’t another flight from Zurich for another 3 hours we decided to go to the hotel and have dinner.  After dinner (which was traditional Swiss/Japanese Tapanyaki and Sushi. Good but odd.) J and I headed to bed while Jack ran images of his lost luggage through his head.  At 11:30 pm Jack took a shuttle back to the airport and returned with one of his bags containing my ski boots, Kelly’s snowboard boots and Tom’s snowsuit.  Jack admitted defeat that his other bag was lost.

The next morning J and I did a quick visit to the center of Geneva.  It was pretty cold for us and I sported my incredibly attractive winter gear as we walked along the lakeside in Geneva.

J in front of a monument near Lake Geneva
M checking out the Swiss Christmas decorations
In front of Lake Geneva
Lake Geneva at sunrise
Later on we found out that Kelly, Tom and Mathew’s flight was delayed from London and that Jack’s luggage was still in Malta (the double ticket thing probably threw them off a bit).

Malta's Next T|op Model
We decided to take the shuttle to Chamonix without the others and Jack all of a sudden realized the silver lining to his lost luggage (and associated anxiety).  It would not get to him in Chamonix within 24 hours of his flight and therefore he could use the travel insurance on his American Express card … and his VISA card for both of the tickets that he had purchased. This means – shopping! So our shuttle driver suggested a few ski supply stores for Jack to buy a new set of ski gear.  Jack proceeded to rent skis, buy a new snowsuit, helmet, three pairs of goggles (one for him, Kelly and J), and then bargain for a free pair of socks on VISA and American Express’ bill.  I now know where my questionable educational funding skills come from. 

Later in the evening Kelly, Mathew and Tom came to the Chamonix and had a good time laughing at Jack’s expense. We stayed at the Club Med resort in Chamonix.  My family has stayed at quite a few Club Meds now and we had a good idea of what to expect.  Absolutely terrible “choreographed” entertainment Spectacles, mediocre food, great ski lessons and mountain guides, and all booze and food included.

Our "Alpine" room
Club Med lobby
The first night we indulged in too much of the last two items, which led to embarrassing over eager cheering for the terrible Spectacle performance and a dance off between Kelly and I.  We woke up the next morning and it was time to hit the slopes (it's a good thing that I don't get hangovers, others weren't so lucky). 

Over the next 3 days we all skied in separate groups except for Kelly, Mathew and Jack who mastered the groomed trails of the mid altitude pistes.  J and Tom became masters of the bunny hill. J even ventured up to mid-station at 2000m (~6000 feet) and then had to take a 1-day breather from skiing due to the incredible height and thin air. 

I was enrolled in “Niveau Quatre” in Ecole du Ski Francais language, or as most sane people would call it, “I like to throw myself down un-marked trails and avoid crevasses at 11000 ft in avalanche zones.”
The Club Med Chamonix resort
About 100 feet into my first run, I realized that I hadn’t skied since March of 2008 and that my legs weren’t completely getting the message from my brain on how they were supposed to react in a few feet of loose snow at high altitude.  I skied mostly at high altitude for the first three days except for the 1-hour avalanche gear training that our guide thought was a good idea for everyone to know. 

The highest cable car goes to 3400 meters ( 11400 feet) and
then you take the stairs down the mountain about 150 feet to start skiing.
The actual run starts by dropping down a small chute...
...into an open glacial field
My legs were a bit shocked to meet this snow
The avalanche training consisted of how to use a shovel, a locator beacon, and depth measuring sticks.  After our guide buried locator beacons in the snow he made us search for them.  We found 4 of them in about 8 minutes but then it took another 15 minutes to find the last one, which he had hid on the roof of a cabin close to the other beacons.  He then explained to us that most people only live for 12 minutes when they are buried under an avalanche, that helicopter rescues are pointless because it takes at least 20 minutes to get there and if you find someone in a tree or on a roof, they are most likely dead well before their beacon is activated.  It was generally a cheerful lesson that I hope I never have to use.
The avalanche gear that I (thankfully) didn't get to try out. 
A rare clear view from the top
Jack, Kelly, Mathew & M during a day on the slopes
By the end of the third day I had found my legs and had time to enjoy the views and actually take some pictures on the hill and in the village of Chamonix.

M in front of a mountain meat shop
Chamonix Village and alps
Macaroon shop
Traditional French transport?

J in Chamonix village
Chamonix village lit up with Christmas decorations
We had a great time with Jack’s visit and the trip to Chamonix.  We’ll try to make it through the tough Maltese winter and look forward to showing a few more people the island. Best wishes for a happy new year from both J and I.


1 comment :

  1. You and Wes must be colluding on sending us photos of snow and skiing.


Let's talk.